The Secession building shines in new splendor in time for its 120th anniversary. The art nouveau structure has undergone extensive renovations, including a restoration of its outward appearance, construction to provide improved barrier-free accessibility, technical infrastructure upgrades, and a remodeling of the basement galleries and museum shop. The project was implemented by the Association of Visual Artists Vienna Secession; architect Adolf Krischanitz directed the work. The renovation was completed on time and on budget. The Secession raised funds from private and corporate donors to defray one third of the total net costs of ca. €3.5 million; the Federal Chancellery and the City of Vienna each contributed €1.2 million.
Press release | Renovation of the Secession completed, September 2018
Koloman Moser, Reigen der Kranzträgerinnen, 1898
On occasion of the centenary of Koloman Moser’s (1869–1918) death, a model panel from his fresco Reigen der Kranzträgerinnen (Dance of the Wreath-Bearing Maidens) will be on display on the Secession’s rear side façade. Created in 1898 for the Secession building, which was completed that year, the fresco originally adorned the rear façade. In conjunction with the 2017–18 renovations, a section of the frieze has been reconstructed in cooperation with the Federal Monuments Authority Austria.
Press release | Koloman Moser’s Der Reigen der Kranzträgerinnen.pdf