The Building’s History
The Vienna Secession was adapted and renovated several times in the course of its hundred-year history. The entrance hall was first altered as early as 1901. In 1908, part of the ornamentation and the motto “Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit.” were removed. The building suffered bomb damage during World War II and was set on fire by the retreating German army in 1945.
During refurbishment in 1963, the original décor was recreated and a second floor was inserted above the entrance hall. Adolf Krischanitz led the most recent general renovation in 1984–85. The central entrance hall and main exhibition spaces were restored to their original proportions, and the ancillary rooms for the Secession’s exhibition programming team and the technical facilities were reorganized and improved.